Age / Sex group affected by Tinea Barbae / Barbers Itch / Tinea Sycosis
Tinea barbae is a ringworm infection in which there is formation of inflammatory, kerionlike plaques.Tinea barbae is the infection of beard and moustaches areas of face with fungus and mainly affects adult men.
Beard ringworm usually occurs in warm and humid climates can pass from animals to humans, so agricultural workers are commonly infected
The areas affected by beard ringworm are –chin cheeks, neck and upper lip.
Beard Ringworm occurs in older teens and adult males.
Ringworm in beard occurs in people of all races.
The main cause of tinea barbae is –
• Tinea verrucosum
• Tinea mentagrophytes
• Pus filled pustules are seen around the hair follicles
• Oozing of blood and pus
• Swollen lymph nodes
• Skin biopsy
• Brushings from scaly scalp areas
• Nail clipping
• Direct microscopy
• Dried smear
• Blood test /blood culture
Anti-fungal medications –creams and lotions such as
Prognosis is good for Tinea barbae as the lesions undergo spontaneous remission within a few months.
• Acne Vulgaris
• Contact dermatitis , Allergic
• Calendula ointment
• Usage of aloe-Vera gel as a shaving cream
• Vitamin A , B complex , Vitamin E
• Lactobacillus acidophilus supplements
• Keeping razor to self
• Avoiding scratching on skin
• Avoid alcohol
• Use of Petroleum based oils
• Scalp dry, falling of hair
• Itching, scratching on scalp causes burning
• Pustular eruptions
• Skin affections arising after medications
• Symptoms worse from warmth and in evening
• Skin dry, constricted and sensitive
• Thick , greenish crusts with burning and itching
• Moist eruptions on scalp
• Scalp sore to touch
• Intolerable itching which gets worse in warmth
• Herpetic eruptions on scalp
• Excess oil secretion from sebaceous glands
Rhus toxicodendron –
• Red, swollen skin with intense itching
• Humid eruptions on scalp
• Eczematous eruptions with tendency for scale formation
Why not ask your query directly to Dr. Thind’s team? Get an expert opinion FOR FREE!