Food allergy is a reaction of the body’s immune system to a particular food product. It can cause mild to severe and life-threatening reaction (anaphylaxis). It is usually confused with food intolerance which is causes by digestion problems, such as milk or lactose intolerance.
How food allergy is different from food intolerance:
|Food allergies||Food intolerance|
|Onset:||Quick and sudden||Few hours after eating food.|
Mild to life-threatening (anaphylaxis).
Diarrhea, Blotting or stomach cramps.
|Immune system||Digestive system|
|Nuts, seafood, seeds etc||Lactose intolerance|
Allergies are result of immune system reacts to certain proteins found in foods. Immune system treats these proteins as harmful agents and thought starts fighting agents them by releasing chemicals and histamins.
• Eczema, contact dermatitis
• Itching of the lips, mouth and throat.
• Swelling of the throat.
• Abdominal cramping and distension.
• Gastrointestinal bleeding.
• Runny/stuffed up nose, sneezing and postnasal discharge.
• Chronic pneumonia
• Middle ear infection
• Low blood pressure
• Heart rhythm irregularities.
• Poor growth.
• Complete case history
• Physical examination.
• Skin test.
• Blood test
• Adrenaline injections.
A person if diagnosed with food allergies is referred to dietician or nutritionist who helps to plan food to take and to avoid or replace the necessary nutrition required for proper growth.
• Consult dietician or nutritionists.
• Avoid foods which are known allergens for you.
• Yoga and meditation can also help in better and healthy living.
• Elimination and change of diet.
• Avoid eating out side or read all ingredients guide before ordering food.
• Persons who are highly sensitive for too much food substance, and respond to them by feeling, restless, ill and exhausted.
• Asthma and digestive disorders like vomiting and diarrhea.
• Burning sensation relieved by warmth.
• Thirsty, drinks water on frequent intervals but small sips.
• Person who become fatigued and overwhelmed, chilly with clammy hands and feet and has low stamina.
• Digestive troubles with gas and heartburn, especially after eating wheat or dairy products.
• Swollen lymph nodes and tonsils, sweating on head during sleep.
• Shortness of breath from exertion.
• Craving for sweets.
• Oversensitive to food with weakness, fainting, chilliness.
• Bloating, flatulence and frequent burping.
• Feeling insecure due to weakness, cross and demanding towards family members.
• Aggravation evening and from talking, eating or lying down
• Food allergy with heartburn, gas and rumbling in the abdomen.
• Ravenous hunger yet quickly gets bloated from eating a very small amount.
• Fatigue or drowsiness after eating, weakness from skipping meals.
• Problem worse in late afternoon and evening.
• Craving for sweets, preference for warm drinks, all complaints are right sided.
• Allergies with headache, mouth sores, hay fever, and respiratory problem easily fatigued.
• Person is usually reserve, dislike consolation when upset or ill.
• Craving for salt and very strong thirst is significant.
• Persons who are excitable, imaginative and sensitive to impressions, having strong anxiety and fears.
• Sensitivity to many food substance, wit headache, nose bleeding, respiratory problem, nausea or diarrhea.
• Worse after skipping meals and better from eating and sleeping well.
• Strong desire for ice cold drinks, ice creams and refreshing things.
Why not ask your query directly to Dr. Thind’s team? Get an expert opinion FOR FREE!