What is Atherosclerosis? How to manage it? What are the precautions to be taken? What are the signs and symptoms? What is the cause of this disease? How to treat it? How can homeopathy help you? All of this answered, in this post and of course our doctors always there to help you. Just fill in your details in the form down below and we will answer all your questions for FREE!
What is Atherosclerosis?
In atherosclerosis the cholesterol gets deposited in the inside wall of the arteries hence making it calcified and hard. As the deposition or the plaque grows, it narrows the lumen of the artery resulting in reduction of oxygen and blood supply to the affected organs like eyes, kidney, legs, gut or the brain.
When the plaque grows enough to block the artery it causes heart attack, stroke, angina, heart failure or abnormal cardiac rhythms.
What is the mortality rate of atherosclerosis?
Adequate treatment has decreased the rate of mortality.
Who are more prone to get affected with Atherosclerosis?
Advanced lesions begin to develop in 25 years of age, clinical signs begin after 50s. Men are at high risk.
What are the causes of Atherosclerosis?
Exact cause is not known. Various risk factors that contribute in the formation of atherosclerosis are:
• High blood pressure
• High cholesterol levels
• Lack of physical activity
• Cigarette smoking
• Junk food and fatty food.
• Disease progresses with progressing age.
What are the signs and symptoms of Atherosclerosis?
Patient gives no signs or symptoms in early stages of the disease. As the disease advances and depending on the location of arteries affected following signs and symptoms appear:
• Chest pain that occurs with exertion and goes away at rest with shortness of breath, sweating and anxiety occurs if the arteries that supply the heart are affected.
• The person shows signs and symptoms such as numbness, weakness, loss of speech, difficulty swallowing, blindness, or paralysis of any body part if the arteries that supply brain are affected.
• Pain in the legs occurs if the arteries that supply legs are affected.
• Kidney failure or high blood pressure occurs when arteries of kidneys are affected.
How to differentiate Atherosclerosis from other similar symptoms?
• Right Ventricular Infarction
• Coronary Artery Vasospasm
• Acute pericarditis
• Pulmonary Embolism
What investigations are advised in cases of Atherosclerosis?
• Stethoscope is used to listen to the arteries in chest. They will not be audible when blocked.
• Lipid profile test.
• Blood glucose test.
How to treat Atherosclerosis?
• Medicines: cholesterol medications, diuretics, anti-platelet medications.
• Bypass surgery.
• Surgery to remove fatty deposits from the arteries.
What life style modification are advised to manage in cases of Atherosclerosis?
The patient needs to reduce:
• High glucose level
• High blood pressure
• High blood cholesterol
• Emotional stress
• Exercise should be done regularly.
• Consume healthy diet that is low in saturated fat.
• Eat lots of fruits and vegetables.
• Quit smoking.
• Lots of fruits and vegetables.
• Add high amount of fiber in diet.
• Eat fish.
• Garlic helps in lowering cholesterol.
What is the prognosis of Atherosclerosis?
Treatment of underlying cause such as high cholesterol and maintaining healthy life style helps in preventing the progress of the disease.
Plaque formation that may result in bulge in artery called aneurism. Bleeding from aneurysm can prove fatal.
What Homeopathy treatment is advised in cases of Atherosclerosis?
Why not ask your query directly to Dr. Thind’s team? Get an expert opinion FOR FREE!