Vitiligo is a pigment disorder of the skin and mucous membrane in which melanocytes (skin cells) producing the pigment melanin are destroyed.
Melanin is the pigment that determines the color of the skin, hair and eyes.
Vitiligo occurs when the cells that produce melanin die or no longer form melanin, causing slowly enlarging white patches of irregular shapes to appear on your skin.
Vitiligo affects people of all races, but is more noticeable in people with darker skin.Vitiligo starts as small areas of pigment loss and spread with time to other areas. The mail goal of treatment is to stop/slow the progression of loss of pigment.Age / Sex groups affected by vitiligo
The onset of vitiligo is most commonly observed in people aged 10-30years .Vitiligo is seen rarely in infancy and old age.
• Depigmentation developing on sun –exposed areas like hands, feet, arms face and lips
• Vitiligo lesions may be –localized / generalized in which localized lesion restricted to one general area and Generalized vitiligo implies on more than one area .
• Scalp vitiligo appears as localized patch which includes eyebrows, pubic hair and axillary hair
• Milky-white patches (depigmentation) on skin
• Premature whitening or graying of the hair on scalp, eyelashes, eyebrows
• Loss of color in the tissues that line the inside of mouth
• Loss of or change in color of the inner layer of eye
• Generalized. In this most common subtype, pigment loss is widespread across many parts of body, often symmetrically.
• Segmental. Loss of skin color occurs on only one side of body. This type tends to occur at a younger age, progress for a year or two, and then stop.
• Focal. Depigmentation is limited to one or a few areas of body.
• Complete medical history and examination
• Family history and personal history
Looking for any stress or nay physical illness
• Any history of premature graying of hair
• Skin biopsy
• Blood count
• Thyroid function test
• Anti-nuclear antibody screening
• CBC ( complete blood count )
• Corticosteroid creams or ointments
• Immunosuppressant creams
The course of vitiligo varies and is unpredictable.Pigment loss may get worse over time if not medicated properly with due precautions.
Consuming green leafy vegetables , fruits , beans and nuts
Avoiding artificial color food preperations
Including supplements in diet -Vitamin C, Vitamin B12 , folic acid
Patients should take in sun-bath
Patients to avoid alchol , smoking
•Idiopathic guttate hypomelanosis
•Progressive macular hypomelanosis
•Primary adrenal insufficiency
Arsenicum album –
• Icy coldness of the body
• Debility ,restlessness with burning pains
• Great fright and worry
• Itching , burning and swelling
Mercurius sol –
• Dryness of skin
• Tendency to perspiration
• Jaundice with liver enlargement
• Gland swell every time
Nitric Acid –
• White spots at the muco-cutaneous junction at the angle of mouth, eyes, nose and glans penis.
• Best acting in dark-complexioned people
• Offensive discharges
• A great female remedy
• White discolouration of skin
• Dark, rigid fibre with mild decomposition
• Dry, unhealthy skin with itching and burning
• Skin affections after local medications
• Hot patient
• Standing is the worst position for patient
• Dirty , filthy people prone to skin affections
• Aversion to being washed
Why not ask your query directly to Dr. Thind’s team? Get an expert opinion FOR FREE!