Tinnitus is a condition in which patient hears ringing, buzzing or other type of noises in ear.
In fact, tinnitus is not a disease but a symptom of disease. Tinnitus can occur in inner ear, middle ear or outer ear.
One of the most common causes of tinnitus is damage to the microscopic endings of the hearing nerve in the inner ear.Age / Sex group affected by Tinnitus
Tinnitus is most common in people above 40 years of age and it is likely to occur more often in men than in women.
Individuals of any race can be affected by tinnitus.
• Age related hear loss
• Ear infections
• Impacted ear wax
• Nasal allergies
• Certain drugs
• Noise induced hearing loss
• Rapid change in environmental pressure (barotraumas)
• Eardrum trauma
• Excessive weight loss from malnutrition or severe dieting
• Drinking excessive amount of alcohol or caffeinated beverages
• Emotional disorders such as anxiety, depression
• Temporomandibularjoint disorders
• Otosclerosis (stiffening of bones in the middle ear)
However, in many cases, no underlying physical cause can be identified.
These noises are described differently by different patients, such as ringing, buzzing, clicking, roaring, whistling, or hissing.
In Meniere’s disease, the sound is sometimes accompanied by hearing loss and dizziness.
Initial evaluation includes a complete history and physical examination of the patient.
• A complete hearing test (audiogram) will also be performed.
• auditory brain stem response (ABR), a computerized test of the hearing nerves and brain pathways
• Imaging tests, such as CT scan or MRI may be required.
Conventional treatment involves botox, carbamazepine, tricyclic anti depressants, Vitamins, or Gamma knife radio surgery.
Apart from this behavior and cognitive therapy are also useful.
• Low intake of caffeine and salt
• Quit smoking
• Zinc supplements
Prognosis of tinnitus depends on its cause. In people with tinnitus related to earwax buildup or medications. In cases where tinnitus is due to ear wax, then after the removal of ear wax the condition improves.
Tinnitus affects significantly quality of life. It affects people differently, if you suffer from tinnitus, you also may experience
•Anxiety and irritability
Calcarea carbonicum –
• Cracking in the ears with pressing pain
• Scrofulous inflammation with mucoprulent otorrhea and enlarged glands
• Hardness of hearing
• Cracking noises in ears
• Dryness of inner ear
• Cracking in ears when eating
• Eruptions behind ears
• Hissing in ears
• Otorrhea and deafness with or without tinnitus
• Humming in ears
• Every noise causes echo in the ear .
• Ringing in ear.
• Symptoms get worse when the ear is touched lightly.
Pain reduces on giving hard pressure.
Salicylic acid –
• Noises in the ear accompanied by deafness and vertigo.
• Patient tends to fall towards left side.
• Controlling blood pressure
• Avoiding puuting any object in ear
• avoiding loud noises
Why not ask your query directly to Dr. Thind’s team? Get an expert opinion FOR FREE!