Prader Willi syndrome? Prader-Labhart-Willi Syndrome or PWS? What is this? What causes this problem? Is it curable? What are the signs and symptoms? How can homeopathy help you? All of this and more answered, in this post and of course our doctors always there to help you. Just fill in your details in the form down below and we will answer all your questions for FREE!
What is Prader-Willi Syndrome?
Prader-Willi syndrome( Prader-Labhart-Willi syndrome or PWS.)
Prader Willi syndrome is a rare syndrome affecting Multiple genetic condition affecting many body parts. In infants Pulmonary Hypertension presents itself as weak muscle tone, poor growth, feeding difficulties and delayed development.
In childhood this condition is characterized by insatiable (increase appetite ) appetite, which results in chronic overeating and gain in weight .
Few patients with this syndrome, especially those with obesity, develop type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Individuals of any race can be affected.
Which races and age groups are affected?
It is a genetic disorder with lifelong impact.
What are the causes of prader Willi Syndrome?
Prader-Willi syndrome is resulted due to a gene missing on part of chromosome 15. Babies usually inherit one copy of this chromosome from each parent.This syndrome develops when the region of the paternal chromosome 15 which usually contains these genes is missing in such cases.
Describe the Signs and Symptoms of Prader Willi Syndrome?
• Having poor muscle tone during infancy.
• Children born with Prader-Willi syndrome may be born with almond-shaped eyes, a narrowing of the head at the temples.
• Children with this condition may have a poor sucking reflex due to decreased muscle tone.
• Lack of eye coordination (strabismus)
• Baby responding poorly to stimulation, wake with difficulty or have a weak cry.
• Persistent and Constant craving for food in children and a rapid gain in weight.
• Children with this condition have low muscle mass. They may have short hands and feet.
• Learning disabilities. Mild cognitive impairment is a observed.
• Toddlers delay in reaching milestones.
• Delayed speech, throwing temper tantrums, some may show obsessive behaviors.
• Difficulty in sleep
• Scoliosis. A number of children withthis condition develop abnormal curvature of the spine (scoliosis).
• Nearsightedness (myopia)
• Light skin compared with other family members
• High pain tolerance
What are the investigations required for Prader Willi Syndrome?
Research is going on to identify genes on chromosome 15 that are responsible for the characteristic symptoms of Prader-Willi syndrome. The protein which is produced from this gene helps in determining the pigmentation of the skin, hair, and eyes.
This genetic defect disturbs the functioning of Hypothalamus which controls hunger and thirst .
What medication is advised?
• No medicines are effective in correcting hyperphagia.
• Growth hormone therapy helps in improving lean body mass, which also corrects osteopenia.
• Supplementation of sex steroids improve secondary sex characteristics but can aggravate behavioral disorders.
What diet and management is advised in prader willi syndrome?
Patients with Prader-Willi syndrome need medical attention for:-
• Evaluation for hypogonadism or hypopituitarism
• Initial management of hypotonia or poor feeding
• Monitoring for scoliosis
• Management of obesity
• Therapy for behavioral issues
• Surgical procedure like Tonsillectomy, tracheostomy placement or adenoidectomy may be required in patients with obstructive sleep apnea.
• Diet restriction is not implied during early childhood.
• Balanced hypo-caloric diet should be carefully monitored by a dietician.
What is the prognosis of Prader Willi Syndrome?
• There is delay in diagnosing the disease because of diminished feeling and sensitivity to pain and decreased capacity to vomit, e.g. appendicitis.
• Life expectancy decreases and quality of life is affected due to complication from hypogonadism and behavioral disorders.
• Children in older age group who are affected with Prader-Willi syndrome may enter vocational programs.
What are the complications of prader Willi Syndrome?
• Osteoporosis( weak and brittle bones )
• Sleep apnea( pause in breathing during sleep )
• Type 2 diabetes
• Binge-eating disorder
What is the Homeopathic Management of prader Willi Syndrome?
Allopathy, Ayurveda etc basically all branch of science has its own scope and limitations, so does Homeopathy. Although Homeopathy has vast remedy list for curing & controlling auto-immune disorders the scope of Homeopathy in this condition is limited; it is the sole responsibility of the physician to decide upon the cure – by looking into the complete nature of the disease, onset and staging of the disease.
Why not ask your query directly to Dr. Thind’s team? Get an expert opinion FOR FREE!