Lipomas is a soft lump growth of fat cells in a thin, fibrous capsule usually found just below the skin.
Lipomas are found most often on the torso, neck, upper thighs, upper arms, and armpits, but they can occur almost anywhere in the body.
One or more lipomas may be present at the same time.
Lipoma are noncancerous soft tissue growth and usually movable.
• Lipoma in the airways can cause respiratory distress.
• Patients with esophageal lipoma can present with obstruction, dysphagia, regurgitation, vomiting, and reflux.
• Intestinal lipoma may manifest as classic obstruction, intussusceptions.
• Lipomas arising from fat in the intramuscular septa cause a diffuse, palpable swelling.
• Lipoma may also arise in the dural or medullary components of the spinal cord, thereby leading to cord compression
• Lipomas occur frequently in the breast
Age / Sex of Lipomas
Women have a greater tendency for lipoma. Childhood lipoma are mostly inherited and rare. Lipoma are commonly found in adults from 40 to 60 years of age.
Lipomas can occur in any age but is more common in third and fourth decades of life.
The cause of lipoma is not completely understood. Lipoma tend to run in families
bull; Lipoma are small and felt under the skin
• Have a soft, rubbery consistency.
• Cause no pain.
• Remain the same size over years or grow very slowly.
• A lipoma can usually be diagnosed by its appearance alone( physical examination )
• MRI , CT in case of large lipoma
• Surgical removal
• Steroid injections
Lipoma may lead to
• Luminal obstruction of vessels
• Hemorrhage of vessels
• Duodenal lipoma may cause gastrointestinal hemorrhage.
Lipoma have good prognosis if they are not converted to malignant forms.
• Since Lipoma are composed of fat, reducing overall body fat can be helpful.
• Adequate exercise
• Proper diet
• Green tea (act as fat burner)
• Lemon juice helps in eliminating toxins from body
• Some of herbs such as – Chickweed
Calcarea carb –
• Swollen glands with increased general perspiration
• Children growing fat with sensitivity to cold
Calcarea flour –
• Swelling and enlargement
• Indurations of stony hardness
• Hard knots in female breast
Lapis alba –
• Glandular affections
• Connective tissue around the glands are affected
• Increased appetite
• Painful swelling of glands
• Offensive pus
• Long lasting suppuration
• Tearing pain in glands
• Glandular enlargement
• Sensitivity to touch
Why not ask your query directly to Dr. Thind’s team? Get an expert opinion FOR FREE!