Intertrigo is an inflammation of the skin which occurs due to warm and moist areas of the body where two skin surface rub or press against each other causing erosion that become inflamed.
Intertrigo develops due to mechanical factors or secondary infection. Skin is red, raw and uncomfortable at affected parts. Sweat, feces, urine and vaginal discharge aggravates in both adults and infants and it is particularly common in those who are overweight.Who Are At Risk?
Intertrigo affect either very old or very young people as there is altered immunity, it can affect any of the sex.
• Types of fungus
• Poor hygiene
• Heat/ humid weather
• Lack of air circulation
• Friction between skin folds
• Excessive sweat
• Urine and feces
• Have a splint, brace or artificial limb
• Exposed to high heat and humidity
• Tight clothing
• Infants chubby, shirt neck, flexed posture
• Skin disease like psoriasis
• Diaper rash
• Between toes
• In armpits
• In the inner thighs
• In the groin
• On abdomen
• On the underside of your breast or belly
• In the crease of your neck
• Between the buttocks
• Red or reddish-brown rash
• Raw, itchy or oozing skin
• Foul odor
• Cracked or crusty skin
• Inflammation, red and sometimes scally
• Complete case history
• Physical examination
• Wood’s lamp examination
• Skin scraping and KOH examination
• In rare cases skin biopsy can confirm diagnosis
• Antibiotic and Antifungal oral medication and creams
• Drying medications like domeboro soaks
• Low-dose steroid creams
• Skin protection creams
Prognosis is good after treatment. Condition disappears and self care helps condition not to reoccur again.
• Raw skin
• Manage weight to reduce the fat folds size.
• Wear lose and soft clothes like cotton clothes.
• For infants with diaper rash, change diapers frequently
• Drink plenty of water
• Eat balance diet
• Keep in cool and dry place, to avoid sweating
• Wash affected areas with soap and water daily
• Use antifungal absorbents powders on affected areas
• After exercising change cloth dry skin first then wear dry clothes
• Skin papular, dry, rough, dirty looking.
• Scaly relieved by scratching and from cold.
• Parts painful after scratching
• Great prostration, with rapid sinking of the vital force
• Rough, hard, obstinate dryness
• Perspiration absent
• Rawness in bends of limbs
• Unhealthy skin, violent itching and burning.
• Eruptions oozing out sticky exudation
• Itching, intolerable makes person crazy
• Perspiration gives no relief
• Better cold air, in cold bed
• Worse from warmth of bed
• Itching at night
• Skin dry, constricted, very sensitive, rough and cracked, leathery
• Itching sore, moist surfaces with redness and rawness
• External hard pressure not painful but a soft touch is unbearable
• Cracks bleed easily
• Dry, scaly and unhealthy skin
• Itching, spots painful red and hot after scratching
• Bleeds after scratching
• Scratching at night and in bed
• Skin painful for long time after rubbing and washing
• Excoriation on folds
• Aversion washing
• Always relieved after bath.
Why not ask your query directly to Dr. Thind’s team? Get an expert opinion FOR FREE!