What is Cirrhosis of Liver? How to manage it? What are the precautions to be taken? What are the signs and symptoms? What is the cause of this disease? How to treat it? How can homeopathy help you? All of this answered, in this post and of course our doctors always there to help you. Just fill in your details in the form down below and we will answer all your questions for FREE!
What is Cirrhosis of the liver?
Cirrhosis is a complication of chronic liver damage caused by chronic liver disease. It is characterized by abnormal structure and function of the liver.
The disease injures kills liver cells. Scarring of the liver occurs as a result of inflammation and repair of dying liver cells. Healthy liver cells multiply in order to replace the dead cells. The newly formed liver cells result in clusters within the scar tissue.
What is the mortality of the condition cirrhosis of the liver?
The disease has a high mortality rate.
What are the causes of cirrhosis of the liver?
The most common causes of cirrhosis include:
• Long term alcohol abuse.
• Chronic viral hepatitis.
• Autoimmune hepatitis.
• Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
• Certain drugs and toxins.
• Inherited disorders like:
– Wilson’s disease.
– Cystic fibrosis.
– Alpha-1 anti-trypsin deficiency.
• Conditions affecting the biliary system:
– Primary sclerosing cholangitis.
– Primary biliary cirrhosis.
– Congenital biliary atresia.
• Infections with parasites (Schistosomiasis).
• Chronic heart failure – results in a condition called ‘cardiac cirrhosis’.
• Cirrhosis due to unidentified causes is also known as Cryptogenic cirrhosis.
What are the signs and symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver?
At an early stage, it is asymptomatic. As it progresses to a later stage the symptoms are as follows :
• Yellow discoloration of the following skin, mucous membranes, or eye.
• Impotence and breast development in men.
• Loss of appetite.
• Nausea and vomiting.
• Pale stools.
• Spider naevi – Small, red spider-like blood vessels on the skin.
• Weakness, fatigue, and irritability.
• Sudden weight loss or weight gain.
• Nosebleeds or bleeding gums.
• Delayed healing of wounds.
• Easy bruising.
• Weak memory.
What investigations are required for the condition for cirrhosis of the liver?
The doctor will perform a physical examination.
The investigations are as follows:-
• CT scan.
• Liver biopsy for confirmation of the diagnosis.
What is the differential diagnosis for Cirrhosis of the liver?
• Portal hypertension.
• Congenital hepatic fibrosis.
What is the treatment for Cirrhosis of the liver?
• Avoid alcohol.
• Eat a well-balanced diet and have multivitamin capsules daily especially vitamin D and K.
• Avoid non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
• Eliminate the hepatitis B and hepatitis C virus using anti-viral medications.
• Avoid foods containing colors and chemical preservatives.
• Treat chronic viral infections with appropriate medicine.
• Liver transplantation: Cirrhosis is irreversible. Liver function gradually worsens despite treatment and complications become difficult to treat. Therefore liver transplantation is considered.
What is the prognosis for cirrhosis of the liver?
It is difficult to return the liver cirrhosis to normal condition. it leads to many complications.
What are the complications of cirrhosis of the liver?
• Edema and ascites.
• Bleeding from esophageal varices.
• Mental confusion or coma.
• Hepatopulmonary syndrome.
• Enlargement of the spleen.
• Liver cancer.
What are commonly indicated Homeopathic medications?
Remedies that may be recommended for alcoholism: Nux vomica: Staphysagria: Belladonna: Stramonium: Chelidonium: Zincum: Carduus marianus
Remedies that may be recommended for hepatitis: Aconitum: Belladonna: Chelidonium: China: Lycopodium; Mercurius: Phosphorus
What is the diet/ management for cirrhosis of the liver?
• Avoid alcohol.
• Salt intake should be limited.
• Avoid fatty food.
• Preferably consume a vegetarian diet.
• High protein from vegetables like beans, tofu, etc.
• Eat small meals at short intervals.
Why not ask your query directly to Dr. Thind’s team? Get an expert opinion FOR FREE!